- Conjoint Professor: University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia: Jan 2019 – to present
- Emeritus Professor of Illustration: Falmouth University, England: Jan 2016 – to present
- Professor of Illustration: Falmouth University, England: Jan 2009 – Dec 2015
- Programme Leader and Head of Illustration: Falmouth University, England: Sept 1993 – Dec 2010
- Senior Lecturer in Illustration: University College Falmouth, England: Sept 1987 – Aug 1993
- Senior Lecturer in Illustration: Cornwall College, England: Sept 1980 – Aug 1987
- Associate Lecturer in Graphic Design and Illustration: Salisbury College of Art: Sept 1978 – July 1980
Summary of Duties and Commitments:
- Academic leadership and programme management
- International and national networking: institutional representation of discipline (Illustration) and cognate disciplines, research and industry collaborations, representation on professional bodies, external examiner
- Institutional academic, strategic and resource management: committees chair, validations and review, assessment boards, external examiner group; appointment and professional development review of academic staff
- Pedagogic and academic development: facilitation of research and scholarship informing curricular and pedagogic innovation; academic structures and new programmes; quality assurance
- Directorship and maintenance of the currency, philosophy and advanced scholarship regarding the programme subject and its delivery: undergraduate, masters and research
- Teaching, utilising comprehensive modes of delivery from lecture to tutorial; consultancy and research supervision
- Research and authorship; internationally published books and journals; international conferences, research papers and academic literature; professional practice
- Public and invited keynote lectures
Indigenous Rock Art: Hunter Valley, Australia. As Conjoint Professor at the University of Newcastle,a visit to the sacred site of the Wanaruah People to view ancient rock art depicting the deity Baiame the Maker of All Things
Teaching and Scholarship
“I have worked for many years in higher education, originally as a Senior Lecturer in Illustration at the Faculty of Art and Design, Cornwall College, England and then for nineteen years as Head and Leader of the Illustration Programme, Falmouth University. During this time, I expanded and developed the undergraduate course to become one of the most reputable in visual arts and communication with an international reputation for excellence, distinguished alumni, a recurrent roster of awards, an increasing level of demand and a continuous vindication from industry.
A specific aspect of my academic directorship facilitated a non-discriminatory approach to visual language along with a contextually inclusive and multi-disciplinary framework that exemplified the porous and cognate nature of the creative, media and communication industry. I also introduced creative writing as an important feature of the syllabus.
Another major aspect of my teaching philosophy underpinned the currency of employability as a proactive element within the curriculum, fully evidenced by the breadth and quality of student achievement and by the growing and eminent alumni. Specific initiatives included an outward-facing national and international reach and collaboration with industry and other institutions. This involved integrated, curricular and assessable final year Professional Practice visits to New York, London and other appropriate venues.
Another initiative was the publication of a programme specific illustrated themed source book; commended by industry it provides a showcase for the work of graduating students, the programme and institution.
In recognition of my international research, authorship, exhibitions and awards profile, my academic and strategic leadership and contributions to the life and work of the university I was conferred Professor of Illustration, January 2009. Upon leaving the institution in December 2015, I was awarded Emeritus Professorship of Falmouth University. My Inaugural Professorial Lecture was presented on the 26 November, 2009 and was entitled On the Visualization of Species: A Natural Selection of Original Expositions into the Evolution of Life through Illustration”.
Professor Male was appointed Conjoint Professor at the School of Creative Industries, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia; January 2019. The role comprises academic and strategic consultancy; research supervision and collaboration; public and institutional lectures and teaching; and when appropriate, the presentation of an external, international endorsement regarding the aims and ambitions of the School of Creative Industries.
A specially invited broadcast interview, 24 February 2020 for ABC Radio, New South Wales, discussed the growth and global importance of the Creative Industries, its immense societal influence and its considerable contribution to the economies of many countries.
Alan works generally across Higher Education as a guest lecturer, external examiner, consultant and supervisor.
A set of BA(Hons) Illustration, Falmouth University illustrated themed source books
The Retrospective Exhibition of Illustration Alumni from Falmouth University, Illustration Cupboard, London, 2011
Education: Ambition and Illustration
An article published in the international magazine Eye, concerning “polymathic” approaches to curricula and syllabi for illustration and visual communication. The Polymath Principal has featured in most books, journal articles and keynote lectures by Alan Male.
Invited Keynote Presentations and Public Lectures
- ‘The Real World Impact of Illustration’
Public Lecture as Guest of the School of Creative Industries, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.
Watt Space Gallery, Newcastle, Australia: 27 Feb 2020
- ‘Dangerous Drawings and the Power of Illustration’
Public Lecture, The V&A London (Victoria and Albert Museum).
The Lydia and Manfred Gorvy Lecture Theatre, South Kensington,
London: 29 Jan 2020
- ‘Books About Illustration: Conception, Authorship and Publication’
CONFIA: Seventh International Conference on Illustration & Animation.
Polytechnic Institute of Cavado and Ave (Barcelos), Viana do Castelo, Portugal: 15 June 2019
- ‘Dangerous Precedents: Freedom of Expression or Censorship and Discrimination’
Illustrating Identities: Illustration Network International Conference, University of Lorraine, Nancy, France: 09 Nov 2017
- ‘The Precious High Ground versus Unpretentious Reality: The Conflict between Fine Art and the Applied Arts’
Fifth Annual Conference, Society of Paragoné Studies: Rivalry in the Arts.
Manchester Art Gallery, England: 23 Sept 2016
- ‘The Power and Influence of Illustration: A Future Perspective’
CONFIA: Third International Conference on Illustration & Animation.
Polytechnic Institute of Cavado and Ave (Barcelos), Braga, Portugal: 11 April 2015
- ‘Illustrators of the Future: Colouring-In Technicians or Intellectual Multi-Taskers?’
New Jersey City University, USA: 14 Oct 2014
- ‘Illustration, Authorship and the Polymath Principle’
New York University, Fashion Institute of Technology, New York, USA: 28 Oct 2013
- ‘Illustration, Authorship and the Polymath Principle’
CONFIA: First International Conference on Illustration & Animation.
Polytechnic Institute of Cavado and Ave (Barcelos), Ofir, Portugal: 01 Dec 2012
- ‘Research: The Future for Teaching Illustration’
Bi-Annual Education Symposium, Society of Illustrators, New York, USA: 09 Oct 2010
- ‘On the Visualisation of Species: A Natural Selection of Original Expositions into the Evolution of Life through Illustration’
Inaugural Professorial Lecture, Falmouth University, Penryn Campus, Cornwall, England: 09 Nov 2009
- ‘Illustrating Prehistory: The Visual Reconstruction of a Previously Unknown Species’
‘Illustrating Non-Fiction Books for Children’
‘Effective Promotion for the Illustration’
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, Annual Conference,
University of Denver, Colorado, USA: Aug 2003
- ‘A Personal Perspective: The Application of Natural Science Illustration to a range of Contexts’
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, Annual Conference, College of the Atlantic, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA: Aug 2001
Public Lecture at the V&A in London, 29 January 2020
‘Dangerous Drawings and the Power of Illustration’ An analysis of censorship, multiculturalism, political extremism and globalisation; and whether or not that would adversely effect illustration’s potential for power and influence
Chaired Panel Event
Bloomsbury Institute in Collaboration with the London Design Festival. Invited Speaker and Panelist
‘Design as a Force for Social Change: Can Design Change the World and should it?’
London, 25 September 2017
Delivering an invited lecture at CONFIA, Seventh International Conference on Illustration and Animation.
‘Books About Illustration: Conception, Authorship and Publication’
Viana do Castelo, Portugal, 15 June 2019